Saturday, May 14, 2011

Peter Pan and a week off!

















































































I have had this past week off work. My goal is to complete at least one thing a day throughout the house. I have now made a list of things that I would like to get as I move from one room to another. Such as a new curtain rod for the boys room to a giant cork board to hang the kids artwork in the playroom. That way I don't have to get everything at once and it seems to be a little less overwhelming when I write it all down.


I did finish sorting through the clothes again. "Winter clothes" put away and summer tee's out again. Out with the small and in the new. Gosh, it's crazy I feel like I was just taking out the "winter clothes"! Of course their is that little bit of sadness as I pack up clothes to be given away, the things that no longer will fit Ty and Olivia. I also cleaned my junk drawer!! I had vowed never to touch that drawer as I feel like one area of my house could be disorganized. But, when I have to waste 15 minutes cutting thread and untangling cords just to get Maddox a set of earphones to use....I figured it was time. So now it still holds random items they are just sorted into baggies or organized in an old silverware holder. You know, it's actually kind of nice!


Another big thing I accomplished this week was filling out and completing the kids registration papers for the next school year. Between retrieving immunization records, registering for VPK and paperwork for a new school, it proved to be very time consuming! Maddox is now officially enrolled in Phillipi Shores elementary the school that is the next road over from us. We had a big decision to make as to where we were going to send the kids to elementary school. Good Shepherd Lutheran where the kids have been attending ( Maddox from the time he was 2 ) has been well, so good to us! Arik and I are both advocates for the children remaining in a faith based school and the idea of a small campus was appealing, but ultimately we felt like Phillipi Shores was the best decision for our needs and will give the kiddos excellent opportunities. Every time we drive by Phillipi I always say, "Maaaaddox........." and he replies in a exasperated tone, " I KNOW! I KNOW! That is my new school.....Why do you tell me that every time?!?" I figure gradual introduction will be the best way because it it so much bigger and different than his little world that he has been accustomed to the past several years.


Speaking of school, just briefly...Ty has proven to be our "problem child" . He has already had two reports sent home about him biting other kids. Darn it! I didn't realize how helpless you feel having a "biter". He has also had his share of hitting other kids and the occasional defiant tantrums. Thankfully he has a great teacher who is very patient with him. She has expressed to me many times that he is a sweetheart and that she can tell he is just verbally frustrated and his behavior is his only coping mechanism. She is working with him and assures me that he will be just fine! I did however at the prompting of our Pediatrician take Ty Ty to have his speech evaluated. I can tell that he is struggling. Let me preface by saying, Ty has zero problem understanding us. In fact he can follow very specific directions and appears to be quite smart. At the same time he has shown very little desire to communicate verbally. His vocabulary only consists of about 5 comprehensible words and a few more sounds that have connected meanings. We had our first appointment this past week and he did very well. It took him a while to warm up to the therapist, but he eventually decided to "play along". It was so funny, she set a small teddy bear in front of him along with a cup a bowl and a spoon. She told him that the teddy bear was thirsty and would he please give the bear a drink? Ty gave her a vacant expression as to say, ' what is this ridiculous play that you give me to do?' and then he proceeded to whack the cup off the table with the back of his hand staring at her blankly all the while. I suggested that she bring out a treat incentive for him. She brought out a container of fruit loops and showed him that every time he successfully completed a "task" he would be rewarded with a fruit loop. He immediately started to join in with her play! Overall she said receptively Ty is right on track. Clearly he was verbally delayed which we already knew, but by observing him she was able to better zoom in on where to focus when working with him. Ty was placed on a waiting list and we will hopefully be able to start with him over the summer. In the meantime she gave us some helpful ways Arik and I can work with him at home. I am really anxious to help Ty out because I know that it will ease so much of his frustration once he starts to talk.


And on the complete other end of the spectrum Olivia's speech has exploded. She will sing her ABC's with us and has several phrases she says now. She also mimics everything...ev-er-y -thing we say. She has remained a drama queen and loves attention. She adores new shoes...haha. I told her love em while you can because when your feet get to be as big as mommies your options will be limited!


I took the boys to their first play Thursday night. A local high school was putting on a kid friendly interactive play of Peter Pan. They were GREAT!! I really thing they enjoyed the new experience even if they didn't get into the audience interaction parts. Jaxon laughed out loud quite a few times! After the play all of the characters were mingling outside. Jaxon was only interested in taking a picture with Peter Pan and Maddox wanted nothing to do with any of them. He said he was too shy. I can't wait to take them to another play. It's nice to do something different with them every now and then!


By the way, Jaxon gets his cast removed May 31st. Woo-Hoo!! I can't wait and I think he is equally as anxious. Although he did tell me he was going to cry when they cut his cast off b/c he is going to miss it. ...I sure won't and it's not on my arm!!!


Until next time:)



No comments:

Post a Comment