Saturday, August 29, 2009

Little Update

It's been a few days. I definitely just did not have the time or energy to sit down and write. I do have a few new pictures I will post tomorrow. The kids had their first day of playing in the rain. I laid Ty and Olivia in the middle of the grass and they just laid kicking their legs and flailing their arms, but they were cooing so I figured they were happy. ....ha, I'm-just-kidding! No, but seriously, I did let Maddox and Jaxon run around in it with the neighbors and they had a blast. They were very hesitant at first, "Are we supposed to be doing this????" But they quickly got the idea. They ran around, splashed in the puddles and rode their bikes through them. It was raining pretty hard, but no lightning. Of course when the thunder did boom, we had them come inside for a nice warm shower! Poor Jaxon is petrified of thunder. He came running and screaming up to us so fast.
So yesterday, the kids and I were in the play room. Olivia was laying on a new little area rug my mom got us and Maddox was jumping off the toy box onto his Styrofoam skim board. Next thing I know Maddox was running over to me yelling," AHH a spider a spider!!!" I looked over to the toy box and didn't see anything, whatever it was was gone. Jax thomped over to Maddox with a small Dr. Seuss book and bravely told him," I'll hit it with a book Mat. " ( which is what he calls Maddox ) They both laughed about the idea and ran back over to the toy box to brave the invisible spider. All of a sudden they rush me, Maddox screaming, "SPIDER!" and Jax, well just plain screaming. They both Jumped onto the couch next to me. I looked over again, unwilling to get up out of my comfy spot that I had just warmed up, but I decided I better go give it a look. Walking over I still did not see anything, so I figured we'd be in the clear, but all of a sudden IT appeared. The most MASSIVE .....I mean MASS-IVE wolf spider creeps out from behind the toy box. I jumped back a bit as chills went all down the right side of my body. I quickly formulated a plan of attack in my mind, but first things first. I had to move Livi off the ground in case thing went south and I ordered the boys to stay on the couch. They could witness the battle, but not to get involved,....not that they would anyways:) I ran to the kitchen and grabbed what I thought would be the most lethal spray with the sharpest squirter available. (You may remember from earlier posts that the boys had already used up of insecticide ) So flea and tick spray it was. I then pulled out the broom and took off the dustpan, I didn't need any additional equipment. I gently pulled out our black footstool and took my stance on top of it, broom in hand crouched down low, spray bottle in the other aimed and ready. Now, back to the spider....this thing was easy as big as my hand from one leg to another, brown and thick. no joke. It looked like it could kill a cat! I took the broom handle and started to pull the toy box away from the wall and there IT was. It had scurried to the base of the wall and was laying there waiting. 'SQUIRT....SQUIRT.....SQUIRT' and it was off! "Dang!!!...Did I connect??" I didn't have time to think about it because IT raced across the wall and towards the couch. The boys jumped off and ran out into the kitchen. "OH NO", it was head towards the strollers and bike stroller! I'd never find it if it got into that mess. And then it did what I'd only heard wolf spiders do. That thing took a HUGE leap from the wall to the stroller. It was a good foot of space and it was effortless. I decided the battle was over and I left the room in defeat, wondering how long it would be before I felt comfortable enough sitting in there again, or reaching into the toy box to grab a toy out. I'd say about an hour passed and I walked back in the playroom to get something and IT had returned, only this time it was clearly weakened. IT was struggling to crawl up the wall about 3 of it's legs crippled inward. I guess I did connect. Now was my chance. I finished it off with about five more sprays and he fell. HA, done. I fought back an itsy feeling of guilt and brushed it off, sorry Charlotte. I had to laugh a little thinking if Arik would have been in my shoes. Did I ever mention he is terrified of spiders??? Lesson learned though. My boys are old enough to know what they see and I need to start taking their word a little more serious in the future!!!

1 comment:

  1. It must be a guy thing (sorry boys) but Kev is terrified of spiders also. He would have had a stroke. You go mamma! I did battle with a wolf spider a few years ago, they are very sneaky and yes they do jump, It took me almost an hour before I was able to kill the little bas****! Horray for super-moms!

    ReplyDelete